Friday, December 13, 2013


When a pair of MeoCaps first arrived for testing, I began wishing for an unusual thing: a good downpour in which to go out and bird with these new binocular eyepiece covers. Of course my wish was followed by 10 days of beautiful sunshine with clear, blue skies. Nevertheless, I took some time to go birding and brought along my binocs equipped with a pair of MeoCaps.



These innovative eyepiece covers by Meopta are designed to protect lenses from the elements when closed. When flipped opened for viewing their unique design shields your eyes from peripheral light, increasing the contrast and clarity of your image.

Although my initial field test was done in dry weather, the MeoCaps quickly proved their value when they saved my binoculars from a nice splash of hot espresso. The MeoCaps took the brunt of the attack and made it easy for me to wipe the coffee away, leaving no trace. Throughout the day, the Meo-Caps protected my lenses from dirt and pollen, allowing me to focus on the newly arrived Louisiana waterthrushes and white-eyed vireos I came to see.

I welcomed the light shield feature of the MeoCaps. The only drawback to the covers flipping open is that the covers move from a side position to a top or bottom position when you twist the eyecups to adjust the eye relief on most binoculars. The solution, of course, is to install the covers in whichever position you plan to use your eyecups. It only becomes a problem when you try to frequently switch back and forth between eyeglass wearers and non-eyeglass wearers, such as when sharing optics on a field trip.



Each MeoCap lens cover uses four plastic inserts to provide a snug fit to the binocular eyecup. The MeoCaps come with multiple inserts of varying sizes, allowing you to optimize the covers for whatever size optics you use.


Later I was able to go out in a heavy rain to test the MeoCaps. They did not disappoint. I was able to easily use my binoculars without the rain impacting the view through my lenses. The open-and-close functionality of the covers was quick and simple, even in the rain. It was nice to not have to fumble with a traditional lens cover or keep a hand over my lenses half the time.

Overall, I was impressed with the performance of these lens covers. They are effective and easy to use. Come rain, snow, seawater, dirt, pollen, or espresso, I feel confident that these eyepiece covers will protect my binocular eyepieces whenever I’m out birding.

The MeoCaps are manufactured by Meopta and are available from several optics and gear distributors, including B&H.

1 comments: